02 March 2009

I've become one of Those people

Let me start by saying that I love graphs. Graphs, charts, spreadsheets...templates get me all a twitter! I'm a stage manager, I organize, it's what I do. True, I mostly use spreadsheets and templates, not much call for graphing in my line of business, but there is a time in everyone's life where a good graph just puts things into perspective.

So that's what this is all about, really, the graphs.

Okay, I've starting Running. Or, at this early point, walking a lot and occasionally breaking into a jog for a short period of time before slowing down and gasping a lot. I've always been in the "you should never run unless you're being chased by a psycho" school of thought, but I've been lured over to the dark side. Because of a graph.

This all began with the Nike+iPod thingamajig. See, it tracks your runs, gives you encouragement via the voices of Lance Armstrong and other athletes, and then logs onto the Nike+ website for you and GRAPHS YOUR RUNS! In fact, you may now see my graphs as well, over to the right there.

The downside is, like all runners will tell you, it is actually addictive. I'm actually enjoying the being outside and running part (gag) now! And, with the help and encouragement of one of my actresses, I'm training for a 5K in Atlanta in March. (It's the ShamROCK N ROLL 5K. I'm hoping they'll have Guinness at the finish line.)

Anyway, for those of you interested, the Nike+ thing is pretty freaking awesome. I don't have Nike+ shoes, but I did get a little pouch to attach to my shoelaces from target.com. I've even figured out how to listen to podcasts during my runs instead of music.

And though all this running nonsense initially started while I was in Fort Lauderdale (and who doesn't want to be outside when it's sunny and 70 degrees in January?!) today I found myself jogging in Atlanta with the temperature in the 30's and ice on portions of the sidewalk.

I hope you'll be understanding, and that we can still be friends.

1 comment:

marco said...

i love a graph too, but i'll continue to graph my monthly spending/saving instead of running. unless i'm being chased...